Saturday, December 9, 2017

why to do?



internal validation?

I have gifts that I like to use,
that I like to share:

I am a teacher because I can see a student
and help that student see self more truly
than self-doubt wants to allow,
as I studied to be a teacher,
I wrote that the teacher’s work is 
to make him/her self dispensable,
like an enzyme in a reaction,
important, but more catalyst than participant,

I work to resist that part of me
that wants to be seen, to be noticed, to be appreciated,
for my joy should be vicarious, and not personal,

my words are like that, too,
I can write of seeing another, impressively,
of seeing experience, the moment, with power,

I work to resist needing to know
when my words work for another,
of finding my own worth as tallies of numbers,
sometimes of those who have followed my poetry blog,
of finding my self-worth in those 
who have clicked and posted a comment,

I am still working to do, because it’s right,
a rightness I know intrinsically,
I should not need others to confirm my path.


by Henry H. Walker
December 7, ’17

No comments: