Tuesday, December 9, 2014

all one can do is do



the view in front, and back

when I get right down to it,
I realize that the view out my rear-view mirror
is so much longer than the view in front of me,

I do what I can to better my odds
at getting around the next curve,
at being here to see what’s over the next hill,
around the next bend,

today I pushed myself miles up a mountain
and miles back,
lungs and legs protested,
and I worried about it all,
yet I made it up,
and back down,
again,

like my mother said about walking the neighborhood,
once you stop, you will never be able to do it again,

all I can do is do
and hope that exercise and diet,
meditation, and medication,
honesty and hope, will help me
travel further than I fear is anything I can deserve. 


by Henry H. Walker
December 5, ’14

No comments: