Monday, July 22, 2013

to become worth the spirit



the spirit works to rise

I again glimpse a revealing,
a powerful hint of what actually might be true,
like a nudge from an oracle
whose message is tentative and ambiguous
only if I don’t trust the life within the seed of my heart,

I meet a six-year-old
and I see God’s next attempt to get it right and full:
a joy in life, an openness to learn,
a strength of foundation
and a sureness to act upon what feels right to her,

deep at the heart of life
is a drive to pass on the gift to the future,
so many potential births of seed and egg
so that what has been learned can be remembered
as the young become the present and create the future,

with most of creation chance seems to rule process,
with we humans I feel God has the hope
that we can do better than chance,
that we can become worth the spirit that rises within us,

that’s why I’m a teacher,
for within each student,
I can see that spirit work to rise,
back to where it belongs.


by Henry H. Walker
July 17, ’13

No comments: