Friday, July 12, 2013

of vacation, of work


returning to school

a week of opening doors to the wonders inherent in
the Tetons, the Big Horn Basin and Mountains,
the Beartooth, Yellowstone,






a week of writing chunks of what 
I feel the days have revealed to me:
of a heron, an eagle, elk, bear, moose,









of petroglyphs and Native Americans,



of peak and flower








 and snow-melt
racing and roaring back to the sea,




of pushing body and spirit to do to hike,
to find the photos that can hold a bit 
of how exquisite the moment is,

I feel far enough into the vacation
that I am clear enough inside
to remember my students
and how I feel the structures of our school work
and how they are not all there yet,

in a week I’ll be back home, God willing,
and it’s exciting what can come with each new dawn here,
and each new dawn back home.


by Henry H. Walker
June 24, ’13

1 comment:

Ike Walker said...

Great poem. I especially love the pictures!