Sunday, May 19, 2013

the best calls



to be seen

I have a gift:
I see kids,

I see and appreciate them
while they’re in the middle of the maelstrom
of event after event that can rock them,
I can see them when they find a moment
to pause, notice, appreciate the moment
and the others around them,

when each is most aware of the world around
each can be most aware of the world within,
what a paradox,
for the world without can also swallow one’s individuality
and make us chameleons,
for the world within can also make us lose ourselves
when, like Narcissus, we find ourselves so central
we actually lose who we are in connection,

at the heart we can feel alone,
yet, if we’re at the heart,
we can present a sure enough surface to the other
that a bond can be real, and can last,

I hope to be real enough, caring enough,
that when I see the kids, they can see me,
and know that I believe in them:
that they can be the best of all within and without that calls to them.


by Henry H. Walker
May 17, ’13

No comments: