Thursday, May 30, 2013

a wild one



a peregrine falcon perch

thunder cracks at me in warning after warning,
so I hurry myself down the trail,
when the rain splatters me enough,
I wrap my camera and long lens in plastic bags,

the rain only feints at us and then moves away,

as I come around a ridge
I hear a complaining assertive call of something,
an irritated squirrel, I think
as I get closer and closer I wonder, and then
I see a peregrine falcon! at the top of a great tree stump,
where the upper trunk had broken away
and left a perfect perch where
it is just calling and calling,







I fumble with camera bag, plastic bags, 
and put the long lens back on,
I snap picture after picture of the falcon,
a wild one whose kin died off,
and this time we had the vision 
to find a way for the falcon to return--

may we have enough vision to share our world even more.

by Henry H. Walker
May 21, ’13

No comments: