who's the driver?
what drives us?
I have long felt
great currents pulling at me, pushing at me,
I am in a stream across which I want to move,
instead, I am challenged
by the stream's imperative
to rush downhill and take me with it,
it cares nothing for my desire to make my own way forward,
I am irrelevant to its imperative,
metaphorically, I know that my emotional currents
care nothing for my will,
I need to let them carry me a ways,
to learn from them,
until I can reassert my will
and find myself a new footing,
though farther down the stream bed
than I hoped for in my naivité,
I know we are driven,
the dark currents below our sureness
need to be embraced,
before they're resisted,
we contain multitudes, or, rather,
we are contained in multitudes,
our current is buffeted by currents
we need to notice, to acknowledge,
to move with,
and then maybe beyond.
by Henry H. Walker
August 23, ‘26
No comments:
Post a Comment