Sunday, August 2, 2026

honoring my father's sister

 Maybe 35 years ago I wrote this poem.  Just found it recently.

To Aunt Reba


Ah, Aunt Reba,

I remember you well

from my earliest years,

the memories all wrapped-up

with sand and sun and shell,

every newborn summer at Edisto

where the heaps of food

only paled beside

the loving hospitality

you heaped upon us--


I learned the best of the South those summers,

the South of open arms and hearts

the treasuring of family

the joy of settling into the

warmth of air and spirit,

I always loved your eyes

when they smiled and your face beamed

like a Low Country sunrise,


as I've grown older

I've learned to appreciate

your strong will

that made the most out

of the cards life dealt you:

the tough times, the sacrifices,

the prices you had to pay

for all you had,

for all you were,


You came at life

with a fire in your soul,

with steel up your backbone,

with love in every fiber of your being,

I honor you for who you were

and you still live deep within me,

I miss you already,

I love you, Aunt Reba.



by Henry H. Walker

circa 1990

No comments: