Veils Part
A rocky overlook called Myrtle Point
At the east end of a smoky mountain named LeConte,
I sit alone as day breaks
Inside a blanket of grey fog
The world soft and warm and closed around me
The covers pulled up so I can't see
Sky or vista or valleys or colors of the rising sun,
I pull into myself and find the way out
To loving this moment, this place for what it is
Not for what I want it to be,
I quake with peace and do not begrudge the mist its day,
I seethe with joy and seek to appreciate the moment
For all that it is worth
For we humans can never know how long
Our moments on Earth will last,
The wind picks up to a rushing roar, taking m breath away
For all at once the valley appears below me
Green trees and heath balds and distance
Sharply real, framed by racing grey mist
That swirls the view away
Only to unveil blue sky and white clouds above
Only to veil it all again,
My pulse quickens, my arms outstretch,
I shiver, I sob, I cry out to the heavens
In joy and awe and fear
And the world outside is revealed again--
Ridge and valley leaping into being
And I am not protected,
I am open to glory too much to hold,
I look downwind into the valley
And watch clear cold air give birth
To slate-grey wisps and billows of cloud
That race up at me, over and through me, and beyond,
For a brief moment even the silver-white
Circle of the sun appears,
I am blessed with spectacle, with a grand command performance
That dwarfs me in its majesty,
The world shrinks into a small island lost in cloud
Then expands in a wrenching moment of inspiration, of illumination,
I shiver from the cold and the glory
From a transcendence that dwarfs my frail body
From a transcendence that pulls me out into greatness.
by Henry H. Walker
August 2, ‘92
For Clarence
No comments:
Post a Comment