Friday, August 2, 2024

of the heron and the snail

 

expect the unexpected


two days ago I sat by the newly-invigorated mountain creek,

centering my impatience with meditation,

and toward the end of my 20 minute session,

before me erupted a fluttering flap of great wings,

and then austere perfection--a great blue heron was just there,

almost as if it materialized within the smoke of its fluttered wings,

for several minutes I continued my meditation,

and it gazed raptly at the rushing water,

I rose up slowly, went into the house,

got my camera, apprised my wife of the apparition at the creek,

and I returned slowly, expectantly,

to where I could see the heron, and it could see me,




































it decided I was no threat

as long as I was calm and just to its periphery,

for long minutes my camera worked to hold the heron on its pensive hunt,

punctuated by quick jabs with its beak,

propelled by the impressive muscles of its supple serpentine neck,


































I moved down the bank, slowly, deliberately,

to where open views allowed dozens of pictures, 

including some sport photography shots of the heron taking to the air,

the heron flew up, up, and away,

my camera and my soul full

of what was revealed, and not expected,








































I work hard to be ready

for what might be within a moment,

and sometimes it all works,


it's great to be aware that every moment has gifts within it,

for example, every scene has extraordinary photos inherent within it,

the trick is to see them, to take them,

to let an order already there

be seen by the orderer within,

and potential becomes actual,


even a snail on a rock

has a story that needs to be heard.




















by Henry H. Walker
July 28, ‘24

No comments: