Sunday, August 4, 2024

a high ridge morning

 

An A.T. Morning

the top ridge of the Appalachian range

suffers a trail to snake along it,

so that we two-legged mammals

can experience the audacity of the rock reaching high,

the physical challenge of winning each step up

and navigating each step down,


I both need to know and respect my body,

and its efforts,

and to know and respect my soul

with what it sees and feels along the way:

spruce and fir trees that hold and prosper,























often buffeted by grey clouds,

that also live this high up, 

the Cherokee had a deep respect for the power of this evergreen.

today I also savor the birch trees, the beech trees,




the Indian pipe, 



































the many mushrooms,




































all the downed trunks almost swallowed by the ubiquitous moss,

all darkly green and filling-in any space possible,

periodically an orange-red jumble 

where trunks have rotted toward humus,

and seem to be torn apart,


it's high summer and the heat in the valley is oppressive,

the humidity up here is so high

that I lose pounds of sweat

as my body tries to cool 

from the stories rock makes me walk,

yet we find it wonderful

that our bodies can still hike the miles up and down the ridge,

that our souls can still marvel at what rock and flora can create,

a great owl erupts from beside the trail, as if to remind me 

that we humans share this world with other fauna,




we are visitors, for others it is home,



by Henry H. Walker
August 2, ‘24

No comments: