Sunday, January 2, 2022

the greatest of these

 

the centrality of love


nothing matters but love,


we need to feel how alone and lacking purpose existence is,

until our hearts reach out to care for another,

for their well-being to be even more important to us than our own,

for our well-being is inextricably linked to theirs,


we describe God as lonely

within a universe God created,

and God needed the other to feel complete,


I just wrote of caregivers who love unconditionally,

and give their selves in service to others,

in my connection with my wife,

with my children, with my grandchildren, with my students,

I make meaning with my life,

I learn who I am as I learn who we are,


“Faith, hope, love abide, these three,

but the greatest of these is love.” (1 Corinthians 13:13)


by Henry H. Walker

December 12, ‘21

No comments: