Saturday, January 1, 2022

truly seeing another

 

seeing the self


nobody really knows another person,

in fact, nobody really knows themselves,

yet who we are can be glimpsed,

can be seen just a bit,

and thus known, a bit,

that glimpse can matter deeply to us,

an affirmation that who we are has value,

more than the humdrum of mediocrity

that our self-doubt shows us

in the critical mirror we use, and fear,


I work hard to see a student, a friend, a family member,

and I often feel awe at who I can see,

and far more awe at who I know

must be there behind the curtains,


humans are not supposed to be strong enough to see God and survive,

I wonder how much we can truly see another, or ourselves,

without being undone by the power released.


by Henry H. Walker

December 29, ‘21

No comments: