Wednesday, August 9, 2023

a breaking of the pact


the tragedy of a too willful yearling bear


I am a "J" in Myers-Briggs,

driven by rules, by the clock,

not very "squishy" about what should be,


I love bears,

and I do appreciate the ambiguity

of the intersection of their lives and ours,

a yearling bear broke the pact

that I feel we follow,

it got aggressive and tried to get into our house,

he was after the waffles we were cooking,

just as several days before he was after a cooking burger,


it broke the rules,

so I called those who police such interactions,

now a trap is set for the hungry bear

with Krispy Kreme doughnuts

and a culvert cage to hold him,






















he broke into the living room of a house

below us two days ago,

the same day he wanted waffles,


he is a beautiful bear, willful, too willful,

and, once he's caught

he will most likely be "put down," euthanized,


I mourn his impending loss,

and, god help me, I agree with the need for it,


(the next day)


the bear is caught,

my feelings, too, are trapped.



by Henry H. Walker

August 7-8, ‘23 

No comments: