Wednesday, May 13, 2020

rock steps, walls, tools



Written In Stone

“it is not written in stone,”
we say when the tenuousness of what we’re considering
strikes us as ephemeral, like writing in sand,

I have liked to write in stone,
to make a statement that is more likely to endure,
I built rock steps down to the creek 
at our cabin in the mountains,
decades ago I carefully selected rocks from the creek
and painstakingly placed them, and re-placed them,
with no mortar for binding,
no easy short-cut to fashion stone into form,
rock used to serve both function and beauty,
as if the world and the steps
fit each other with a rightness 
that sings like a flower,

I also savor rock walls from a century or more ago
where someone who worked the land to entice food from it
got rocks out of his field that would impede the corn’s growth,
that would delay the food they needed to get through their days,
the rocks could have been just tossed to the side,
maybe loosely aggregated into a rough pile
that spoke only of the utilitarian,
instead the shaper, the artist within him,
worked the stone into form for a rightness
he felt needed to be born,

Cataloochee

I love to find stone artifacts
whose beauty and undeniable function shout at me
to notice and appreciate them,



Soapstone pendant, experts at UNC have never seen anything like it.
Found in Henry and Joan's backyard.




















a perfect spearpoint is clear and assertive
in the words it speaks, in the song it sings,




larger tools, too, can speak clearly,


Probably meant to be halfted, used as a hammer?


















A chunky stone, rolled in a game.



Hand Axe.



































but I spend more of my time
finding and considering rocks
who don’t speak so clearly,
was it shaped as a tool?
or did natural processes give it form
that only hints of possible shaping?


Found this in my garden.  Who knows?








































every rock has a story,
and my wife and I have listened to how geology
reveals the past that led to this present,
I love the shouted tale of a mountain:
the brash power of a pluton, such as El Capitan,


Courtesy of Google Images


where a rock fist endures above the land eroded around it,
a large balloon of magma reached toward the sky
and did not quite make it, instead solidifying and enduring,
so that now it can speak to us, inspire us,
mountains back east murmur stories
as the fingers of time and erosion 
coax their softer shapes into being,


Courtesy of Google Images



















last year I shoveled dirt and small stones
onto brown paper mulch in our garden,
the rain revealed a broken spearpoint,


Likely a Kirk, about 6000 BCE.



















and I long to touch the shaper of the point,
who thousands of years ago knew this land as friend,
he wrote in stone, and I still read that writing,
stone which sings of his synthesis of vision and artistry.



Spearpoints and arrowheads I've found.




A drill?





































by Henry H. Walker
May 6, ‘20

No comments: