Saturday, July 2, 2016

trying to impress the ladies



turkeys a’courtin’

Alice followed a rabbit into Wonderland,

this morning I followed a female turkey and saw a wonder,
I padded in bare feet out of our yard, down the road,







to where 3 male turkeys fanned their tail feathers together, 
all in a determined effort to impress her and her companion,


















I followed them closely enough
for the telephoto lens to capture the posturing of the courtship,
an extraordinary expression of who they are,
in their finest presentation,

I left for my own adventure up in the high mountains,
and I didn’t see them again until late afternoon
as they came down to the creek to cross, and drink,

I treasure the photos I took
of the 3 brothers trying to impress their lady friends
so as to become a chosen one.




















by Henry H. Walker
June 30, ‘16

1 comment:

Olivia York said...

That must've been a very cool experience! I've seen wild turkeys (on the Big Island) but have never seen them fan their tail feathers like that.