Wednesday, June 18, 2014

and then the world changes



snapshots, and change

we love to take group pictures,
a snapshot of who we are at one time,


















and then the world changes,
and he who is next to us is no longer there to laugh,
and she who smiled in the rightness of her joy is gone,





I love photography
for I can imagine a moment can last,
yet people die, flowers fade away into seed,





the present dissolves into the indeterminacy
of a future we did not expect,

I like to live for the moment,
I like to prepare for the future,
and I need to look at a picture and remember the loss
that works to hollow out our assurance,
the loss we need to still feel
while we fill moments anew
with who is still there for the picture
and to treasure those who are new to the group.



by Henry H. Walker
June 17, ’14

No comments: