Sunday, December 25, 2022

in search of lessons


 as disciple to master


















early in my poetic journey

I felt as disciple to master

when I sought to understand the natural world,

I wandered the woods in search of lessons,



















hiked up and down mountains

to figure out their stories,


































































watched carefully the seasons,

looked through each lens I could find at the Earth:

the geological, the zoological, the botanical, the meteorological,

the constancy of a mountain top,

















the ephemeral moments of a wildflower,
































the enduring will of a tree,










like the Earth’s contours, I have been transformed by a stream,

my pulse quickened by a bear, an elk, an owl,






























































I have sought to know the children

so that I can know the mother,


we come from Gaia,


and we should know her well,

before we embark on our own paths.





















by Henry H. Walker

November 26, ‘22

No comments: