Sunday, February 6, 2022

Hold door!


 the dark calls out the light


I keep hearing and acting upon Dylan Thomas’s fears:

the light is dying, and what should we do?


each of our lives can shine with impertinent flare,

a flare that challenges the darkness,

both before and after the day, the fire, 

the hope every moment wants to birth,

I work to make my own life matter,

I work to celebrate every life

that can matter, that has mattered,


I write of one we have lost to our next moments,

I seek to see who they have been,

to see the effort of their choices,

to see the effects of their choices,


I record some of those I know,

some of those I have known,

on the video that Zoom allows, and enables,

and I hope the website I maintain with such sharings

is good enough for people to beat a path to its shared door,


as a species, I fear for us,

for the Dark calls, and the Light may not hold.


by Henry H. Walker

February 3 ‘22

No comments: