Thursday, December 9, 2021

profoundly deep levels

 

The Winter Dance Concert ‘21


in my heart I am a dancer,

it’s my body that doesn’t quite fit the dream,

I love to move in harmony with purpose, with control,

in harmony with music,


this week I have again found myself

in awe of our upper schoolers

in their Winter Dance Concert,

each of the dancers a choreographer, too,

their bodies the tools,

their heads, their hearts, their souls:

create, adapt, live the dances,

the music, the songs, chosen and crafted

for movement, word, and beat to unite,

technology of lights, of sound, of space,

all a stage within which movement

creates its own life for a time,





















usually, my universe is of words,

those verbal tools that allow me

to think, to express feeling,


I love the alternative of the language of dance,

combined with the language of music,

as what is “said” moves on profoundly deep levels,


the Upper School students create before us,

and the world is better for their venturing forth.




by Henry H. Walker

December 8, ‘21

2 comments:

jan said...

I saw their rehearsal Wednesday, henry and I would give a lot to have been able to convey the apreciation and respect that you did in your poem. Friend speaks my mind!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful poem, and what a beautiful group of dances and dancers. (And a young poet with his moving poem!)

I'm often not "in tune" with things on main campus because of the distance between us; so I feel incredibly blessed that I was asked to help a dancer. I'm so thankful that this concert was put "on my radar" and I got to witness these dancers share their art.