Tuesday, March 2, 2021

to synchronize with the external

 

I spill some tears


ancient Greeks felt the power of the gods,

the sense that powers outside their control

could, at any time, 

visit disaster or benevolence upon them,

at the first of a meal,

they would spill some drops of wine

as an offering, as a prayer to be noticed,

as a hope for help from Fate,

a hope to move forward

synchronized with what’s possible

and hoping for the way forward to open,


challenges today beset us,

the ways forward seem to be blocked,

and doubt insinuates itself into our mood,

instead of wine, I keep offering tears,

as the stakes involved shake me away from sureness,

I offer my tears to the powers that be,

as the Greeks offered wine to their gods,


as fears flow through me,

I offer my tears to accompany them,

I want to find whatever currents move forward

and to align myself with them,

I need to spill forth

with the emotions that roil within.


by Henry H. Walker

February 28, ‘21

No comments: