Sunday, December 20, 2020

why the cache?


 a story aches to be told


usually when I find a prehistoric artifact,

I get a fragment of a glimpse of a person,

I can imagine the spear point crafted, used, lost,

the scraper, hand-axe, hammer-stone crafted, used, lost,


I can see the land and imagine why they were here,

a good place to pause, to camp, to craft a tool,


this month a story haltingly comes to me,

a whole collection of artifacts revealed by the rain,

very close to each other,

as if there for a purpose,

some hundreds to thousands of years ago,

they seem to be beyond just a toolbox of stone tools,

if these were a person’s implements,

why leave them in one place?


the quality of a complete spearpoint, exquisite,

scraper after scraper, perfectly fashioned,

as if each were the best in its class,

even flakes and chips striking,

it’s as if it’s a display, as in a museum,

but why?


a friend suggests gifts for a grave, a burial,

with tools to honor, to help in the next journey?


I know there is a story here

and I ache to hear it told.



by Henry H. Walker
December 18, ‘20

No comments: