Monday, December 21, 2020

not knowing what will be in hand

 

expect the unexpected


in life, in teaching,

I work to expect the unexpected,

to be ready moment to moment

for a pattern to appear that I can understand,

for which I need to have prepared

a possible answer, a possible way forward,

a quick analysis and how a repertoire of potential response

can be immediately chosen to fit the moment,


I need to have my camera ready in case

an animal chooses to intersect my world for a moment,

I love artifacting and have learned

how to look, where to look,

mostly how to be open to a pattern

that might reveal itself

and a spear point, or a hand-axe, 

might reveal itself on the fly

but usually not,


I walk cross-country up a hollow,

and every path I make, every path I walk,

is what the terrain and I agree on,


in teaching I come up with a wonderful book,

an engaging assignment,

a challenging take on what we’re considering,

and I have to be open to what ways,

I didn’t expect, might open up,

the way forward potentially there

but needing to be chosen by both student and me,


when I am at my best

I am ready, wiling, and able to be there for my student,

to be there for the better paths up the hollow,

to be ready to hear, to see, to hold a pattern before me,

and, sometimes, I then hold a spearpoint in my hand.



by Henry H. Walker
December 19, '20

No comments: