Friday, June 26, 2015

procrastination is not a virtue




do it yesterday

I love to get things done--
if a “thing” is due done tomorrow
I love to do it yesterday,
for me I like to earn the relaxation--
to hike to the top of a mountain and then enjoy the moments,
to work a day and, then at home, take the load off,

we come to the mountains, and, before I savor vacation,
I do the cooking we’ll need in six weeks:
the chicken for chicken salad, done,
the angel biscuits pan-ready to heat, done,
the two bushels of summer transparency apples,
given the 20 hours, or so, they need
to be transformed into applesauce, done,

for me the freezer can be where 
I defer gratification until it’s needed,

I need to be hungry and to have gotten things done
before I deserve a dessert.


by Henry H. Walker
June 22, ’15

No comments: