Monday, February 17, 2014

two windows on the universe



the active and the passive

a Wordsworth poem long ago drew me,
as William sat on a stone
and argued for a “wise passiveness,”

most of the time, I love action, doing,
I spin web after web of connection
to see what can be built,
to support each effort of the building
by noticing, and applauding,
and working to be a glue
that helps the one bond to the other,

I feel of worth in the doing,
and it’s hard to stop and rest,

when I disconnect a bit from the frenetic spinning,
I find tears and joy both rise within me,
for I see where I am, I feel the losses,
and I see again, anew, her, the one I love,
the one whose presence by my side
shakes and grounds my universe,

the active and the passive are both windows to treasure,
for the truth of the universe is so awesome
that no one view can reveal enough 
of the hidden meaning that we need to find,
so that we know where we are
and what we are called upon to do.


by Henry H. Walker
February 16, ’14

No comments: