Saturday, August 10, 2013

a psyche stress test



of worth, even alone?

like my body, my psyche needs a stress test:
I immerse in connection after connection
and know myself as spouse,
as parent,
as grandparent,
as friend,
as he who orchestrates the wholeness of our togetherness,


I am of value because I do,
who I am of value because we touch
and the touch makes me larger,
and then all leave, by ones and twos and threes and fours,
and finally, today, it’s time for my wife,
the other half of who I most feel myself to be,
to wend her way back to our home,

I feel time today as loss,
and I am again a cartoon character over an abyss, 
legs churning until I realize I’m alone,


will I fall or
will I connect enough with my own self
to feel of worth even alone?

I tested myself by biking miles up the valley today,
and I joyed in the descent:
every day can be a test of body and psyche,

may the river of my life flow well.


by Henry H. Walker
August 8, ’13

thanks to Google Images for cartoon image

No comments: