Tuesday, March 5, 2013

recreation can be work


work

I wonder about work:

I tend to call teaching my work,
the job I do that pays the bills
and where my efforts can make a positive difference
in the world, in how well kids I teach
can come into the fullness of the power
within the soul of who they are--
I help pull off a play
within which scores of kids
find a light within them and release it,
and somehow an almost living thing
comes into itself on stage,

the enablers believe and logistics come together,
the actors believe and the story throbs alive,
the audience believes and delights in it all,
so that almost like in alchemy
what could be common transforms into gold,
and each person in the production feels worth
in being a part of what has come to be,



in drama, in reading, in writing, in history, in science,
I have a gift and I can see who is before me,






and, more often than I can see how,
I call the best within them forward,
and something new and wonderful breaks free
of what tries to block it,
to short circuit and deny the power’s productive release,

I think of teaching as a calling, 
a work to which I am drawn
because I hear what can be
if it but has a chance to be born,

teaching as work centers me,
thrills me, focuses me,
and just seems right,

yet the socialness of it all exhausts me,

there’s an introvert within me I push away
while I act out the extrovert,
the one wired to others, connected to connection,

so I have to slip away to the mountains by myself,
here where I am not as much called to do, and more to be,
here where my work is to ground myself in the first stories,
as rock, water, and air build a stage
upon which life does its thing,




I think up here I’m relaxing and recovering,
I question, though, how much what I do here is also work,
a grounding without which I cannot function well,
my work might then be adrift with no sureness
of the calls within and without.



by Henry Walker
February 27, ’13

No comments: