Thursday, March 7, 2013

of turkeys and snow, and . . .


revelation can be soft

sometimes the natural world tells a story I want to hear,
sometimes it punctuates or contradicts my mood,
sometimes I just notice and store up experience
as if I’ve set some automatic “save” feature,

for days, now, the temperature has hovered in the mid to upper 30s,
and snow has showered day in and day out--
only lingering higher up,

at dusk I’ve watched turkeys glide into the high trees,
shift around on the branches,
flap to a new perch,
all in some mix of individual and herd,
like an army unit or police squad
moving in to secure an area,
and then they’re all off to roost,

the next morning, early on, they repeat the pattern
though this time they glide to earth to peckishly feed,

the clouds swallow distance,
and the snow moods the immediate,
only a few flowers risk a bloom
over the few miles I hike,

like the snow,
revelation is soft and simply disappears.

by Henry Walker
March 1, ’13

No comments: