Thursday, January 31, 2013

the joy of becoming


parts of who I am

just because I turn 65 soon,
and connections of retirement 
and Social Security 
and Medicare pull at me,
being this age is only part of who I am,



what do I feel are larger parts?

I am a teacher
who still hears the call of the young,
and feels enough wisdom to find the voice to answer,







I am a boy
to whom nature calls to explore,
to learn, to glory in a flower, a sunrise,






a lesson in what can come to be
if we can but treasure the becoming,



I am a grandfather
who hopes to be around long enough
for granddaughters and grandson to know me
while they’re well on their way to revealing who they are,







I am a learner
who joys in being incomplete
for then I can wake up in the morning
with a hope to understand more fully
how and why things are.



by Henry H. Walker
January 27, ’13

1 comment: