Saturday, July 14, 2012

tomorrow calls


a couple of bears

bears I see are solitary for the most part,
except for mothers with cubs
in that first year of seasons,
 
 yesterday I saw a pair
working the trash by some cans,
finding mouthfuls casually thrown away
along with plastic soda bottles and plates,

the larger, sleeker male attracted to the smaller female,
proposition after proposition rebuffed with a snarl
 and a step away,

after half an hour of eating and flirting,
and her snapping at him,
 

they couple and stay together for 80 feet,
their genes driving them
until they separate and walk off into the woods,
cross the creek,
and I lose them in the rhododendron beyond,

the female leading,
to me she seemed too young,
her coat threadbare
but tomorrow called to her, too.

by Henry Walker
July 9, ’12

1 comment:

Ike Walker said...

This is great! Wish I was there to see it, but the pictures really capture the moment.