Thursday, July 26, 2012

potential promises


tomorrow hopes for greatness

with each child tomorrow hopes for greatness,
like a gambler who throws the dice
and hopes that chance will smile,
we come together, and a child wends its way
from conception through gestation, to birth,
and then through the gauntlet of growing-up,
through the potential chaos that impinges on a child developing,
as if to dare her, to dare him
to beat the odds
and achieve the greatness the potential within promises can be,

I see greatness within my children and my grandchildren,
and within each student I dare to teach,

I celebrate every time greatness
finds a way to move itself through the gauntlet
toward the tomorrow that always hopes
for the best that can free itself to be.

by Henry Walker
July 22, ’12

No comments: