Sunday, January 15, 2012

not Descartes

I care, therefore I am

what a gift to have a job
that not only pays the bills for the “how” of one’s life,
those bills that come due each and every month,
but also the bills that come due each moment,
for the “why” of one’s life,
and demand of me an accounting
as to what of value I’m doing with my life,
an accounting of how well the charges are doing,
each precious other who spends a time with me
in class, in project, in the finding a way forward
to where each can be the best answers
to the questions asked within the possibilities of each life,

I love to open a door,













and see it used,
and I can also love the daunting challenge of figuring what to do
when the way forward is blocked:
the need to take a deep breath,
consider the walls between us and the way forward,
and then I have to hold the student
in as much light as I can envision
to find the track through a dark wood
that can seem trackless,








beyond our powers to imagine us moving forward,

I know with the tears, that readily push into my eyes,
how much my heart drives me,
my intellect a partner, but more tool than driver,

I care, and therefore, that is how and what I am.

by Henry H. Walker
January 13, 2012

No comments: