Friday, October 4, 2024

of pride, and history

 

how are we defined?


I blurt out to a new German friend

my white privilege guilt:

my genes are only of northwest Europe,

no diversity in my background, not even Neanderthal,

I have no empathic leap before my words are spoken

as to how what I say might feel to one

whose personal roots are primarily of Germany,


I recalibrate my thoughts

and query: "What makes you proud of being German?"

the very question makes no sense to him,

the accident of birth lays no burden or worth on him,

instead he is thankful for all the positive in his own life:

his wife, his children, his work, their health care,

his community where all together

grapes are grown, made into fine wine,

and shared, sold, to make a difference,

it's not the national history,

but still maybe it's the culture that holds him,

it is the real people who raised him,

who share a life with him,

that every day weave connections that hold him where he is,

that define him as to who he is,


it is easy to lose yourself and the consequences of your own actions

when you consider your ancestor's mistakes,

in my case, enslaving people and profiting from immoral choices,

my hope is that my ancestors lived a goodness in much of their lives,

yet I still have to figure how to come to terms with choices

that now seem so wrong to me,


I pray that I can carry forward the hope of every life,

despite the darkness that also calls to our hearts.



by Henry H. Walker

September  27, ‘24

No comments: