Friday, November 27, 2020

our four bears

 still choosing their own adventures


I cannot quite get started

to focus my thoughts and feelings,

to decide on a specific “take”

that can give justice to the wonders

the appeared down by the creek a short while ago,


the mother bear and 3 young decided

holly berries would be a good late afternoon snack,

the poor holly knocked toward the ground months ago

and held there by a blown-down tree trunk

as if to serve the berries to the bears,

all 4 of them clambered about and ate for awhile,






I was ready for them to cross the creek

just above the cabin,

where other blown-down tree trunks ease the crossing,

each bear sleek and well-fed,

enough fat on the bones

for them to thrive through winter’s sleep,






my camera works hard and fast to chronicle their story

to reach to hold the sureness and the wholeness

they live with every breath, every moment,



five months ago I first saw the 3 young as small cubs,

more of hope than of sureness,




power radiates from them now,

their personalities much the same then and now:

the dependable mother, alert, teaching by example,

ready to protect if needed,

but also ready to let her young find their way 

while having but a loose rein on them,

the first 2 cubs, Mama’s Kids, 

close to her, playing with each other,



Mother and Cubs, June '20
















Mother and Cubs November '20



















the third, no longer a runt,

but still holding back

and more into its own world, 

more connected to what’s behind than its siblings,

 periodically needing to scurry toward what’s ahead,


five months ago it stayed behind a bit

and felt lost when the others went away,

I watched it cry out to be found,

and it even approached toward me

as if I might be a refuge,


today it noticed me more than the other cubs did,

and I felt our connection anew,

several times it broke the eye-contact

and raced away to join its siblings,



Runt, June '20



"Runt" November '20





Runt, June '20












"Runt" November '20












































there is something about the young

that draws out of us the best within us,

to hope, to appreciate, to believe in a future that holds them well,


I feel privileged for these four bears to have shared

their stories with me twice this year,

I am happy for them to have stories

in which they continue to choose their own adventures,


so far the future has held them well.



by Henry H. Walker
November 25, ‘20

1 comment:

Cynthia Jeffries said...

A gift, a lesson, a memory. Thank you for transporting me there with you. Vivid imagery Henry. Fills me with wonder and love for this world.