Sunday, May 25, 2014

process versus product



the waterfall and the hike

I’m always confused by process versus product--
for example, how kids learn versus what they learn,
today, it’s the getting to and from a destination versus being there,

the process of hiking is work: effort, sweat,
overcoming the frustration of coming round a bend in the trail
only to find another bend in the trail ahead,
every moment I stop and notice the flowers, the stream, a tree,





I’m not moving so am I in another process?

the product is the waterfall and it’s worth savoring:
resting, hearing, writing, photographing, eating, exploring,

when we get to Ramsay Cascades
I hear one student feel overwhelmed and exclaim
“Oh, my God!”



how much work is necessary to be able to feel such awe?


by Henry H. Walker
May 20, ’14

No comments: