Tuesday, April 9, 2013

the present of water


to write in stone

I like to write in stone,
though I don’t do it much,
mostly I “etch-a-sketch” with my students
and I usually don’t know when what we’ve sketched together
holds in this memory and self enough to matter,

I’m proud of stone steps I laid down to the creek:
no mortar, careful choosing and placing,
a rightness to their look and function,

much of a stream is the present of the water,
and it can flow fast 
and the water before me, that is, soon isn’t,





the rocks endure and shape what the water can do,
though in the long run they too are ephemeral,





I recently looked down 
and a rock at my feet looked out-of-place,
when I picked it up it looked to be a hand axe,
carefully crafted unknown years ago
by someone gifted to write in stone,
and then it was lost,
until the craftsman in me found it,
and I joy that what we craft might be found again,
though loss is deeply inherent
in the stream of each life.



by Henry H. Walker
April 4, ’13

1 comment:

Eddie said...

I remember when we worked in water building water courses from the ford to the pool at Stairs bridge. What a wonderful time. Too bad we appreciated it so little and wanted to rush ahead to now!