Thursday, February 7, 2013

a tilt, and a skid


vertigo

I am completely in the moment
and I know how this moment connects to the next moment,
how this and that part of what is connect to each other,
the world feels real with a sureness of continuity
like the steadiness of a beating heart,

then, with the suddenness of a thrown switch,
the world changes from solidity to impermanence,
I no longer feel grounded in a world I can know,
but rather loosed of my moorings 
in a world I only partly contain
in how I understand myself and it to be,
no longer do my senses comfortably center my world
so that I know exactly where I am,
where all else is, how we are connected,
and how I can move within it all,

within my inner ear something changes
and I feel as shocked as many were by Copernicus
who changed away the sureness of a fixed Earth,
and, if all is relative, sureness is an illusion,

my vertigo leaves, and I get back to feeling connected,
I still seek to learn from that revelation
that sureness and fixity can be but illusion.

by Henry H. Walker
February 4, ’13

No comments: