Saturday, August 5, 2023

the land, the forest--recover


 toward Grapeyard Ridge


yesterday a valley opened itself to me,

part of Greenbrier, the watershed 

of the Middle Prong of the Little Pigeon River,

I have started down it several times from the Appalachian crest,

I followed an old manway down and down

until a maintained trail revealed itself,

much easier to follow than the earlier rock cairn marked passage,

today we followed old logging ways

that snake up and down ridges, along small streams

that tok some rock-hopping to cross,

often the trail was beguiling tunnel

within overarching rhododendron,

enchantingly dappled with flashes of golden sun,

the valley softy echoing the many families

who farmed a living out of these valleys,

a bear's world touched ours twice,

the still hot air pulled so much sweat from me

that we chose a 5 miles experience

over another mile or so,

I feared donating even more liquid to the journey,

I was pleased that my muscles, heart, and lung fitness

allowed me to move across the earth

with ease, with appreciation,

with joy in the moments allowed

this valley returns to what nature does

without the harsh hand of our mastery,

taking more from the world than it wants to give,

I imagine 50-100 years from now

that this valley will return to close 

to what the Indigenous peoples knew

and to what the pioneers first saw,


the woods today hint what will then be shouted.



by Henry H. Walker
August 3, ‘23

No comments: