Saturday, April 8, 2023

service to others


 taking care of one's self


the male in me seems to feel certain responsibilities:


I want to take care of those I know,

nothing pushes my interior buttons

more than defaulting on making sure

the house has working water, power,

or that there's something 

that I have forgotten to take care of. . .


my friend who just died

found purpose and success in taking care

of family, of any who came to him in need,

of any work reality that he felt needed him, fully,


I hoped for him to take a break more often,

to let another rise to the occasion,

to work more to meet his own needs,

in other ways than through service to the other,


I wonder if exhaustion finally took him,

and he had nothing left for himself, or for others,


maybe this is how he would have wished to go,


yet those of us who loved him wish

he had found more space in his life

to take care of himself, too.


by Henry H. Walker

March 31, ‘23

No comments: