Thursday, March 2, 2023

laid low for awhile

 

the cold virus ups its game


this winter I was sailing along through the holidays,

blessed with energy, health, 

and the wonderful inertia and camaraderie

of plan after plan moving forward,

then a virus came into my head,

and inexorably enthralled more and more of my will and body,

it was as if my soul were disempowered,

the sails lost the wind,

my rudder lost its purchase,

my connections to thoughts, to others, to myself

all glitchy, so I had to reboot, and reboot, and reboot,

I withdrew and withdrew, into sleep,

even when I was finally getting better,

3 2 hour naps in one day seemed right, 

no Covid appeared, no flu, just a cold,

as if the cold viruses were threatened by 

Covid competition,

and showed they could lay one low,

and laughs at my hopes to get back

to laughing, to raging at the dying of the light.



by Henry H. Walker
February 8, ‘23

No comments: