Saturday, July 2, 2022

holding the light, which has just left us

 

A Speaker for the Dead


when a person dies,

and passes away from the immediacy

of knowing them in the moment,

I feel called to work to see them clearly

the totality of who they were inside,

and in how they acted, and reacted, upon the world,


the sum total of who they were

more enticing and intriguing

than a sanitized version

which only speaks of the surface,

and then only of the accolades,


who each of us is is far more

than the nice things to say,

what strikes me as most true

is to chronicle the whole story, as best I can,

and then to appreciate how well the race was run,

despite the debilitating weights the runner had to also carry,


I wonder at the self-doubt within each of us

that is afraid that we are but imposter,

so we deny our own feet of clay

and fear noticing anything about those gone

that might push us to notice uncomfortable truths about ourselves

I want to celebrate the life lived

both for its successes and its struggles,

and I hope that my life, once ended,

can receive such honest love and appreciation.



by Henry H. Walker,

appreciating Orson Scott Card’s concept of “Speaker for the Dead”,
June 29, ‘22

No comments: