Saturday, November 13, 2021

the child develops

 

child development, head and heart


the scientist in me wants to understand

what actually happens as a child develops toward adult,

the progress that can occur

when a glitch does not intrude,


I lead with my head,


the parent, the grandparent, in me, 

leads with my heart,

the child develops as I am on the sidelines,

cheering, or fearing, with each decision

with each result, with each movement 

toward the uncertain future,


I want both head and heart to witness,

I hope to celebrate,


it is hard to imagine any value in my life more important 

than to help the trueness of the younger generations 

continue toward a future that sees them, that appreciates them,

that lets them keep discovering how they can be as extraordinary

as the greatness which parent and grandparent see them to own.


by Henry H. Walker

November 12, ‘21

No comments: