Monday, April 30, 2018

don't lose the self in selflessness




The Platinum Rule

“Do unto yourself as you would do unto others.”

the Golden Rule inverted,
for the Platinum Rule is an even higher rule,
that the caregiver should take care of self
with as much love as the care for others,

the selfless can lose the self in the other,
and maybe then lose the wherewithal to keep caring, well,

I find it far harder to love myself
with the same lack of condition
as I love my spouse, my friends, my students,

I write this as I watch our bluebird house,
with five baby birds hungry and growing,
father and mother flit in and out feeding them,

the mother just noticed me and flitted away,
she knows how vital she is
and takes care of herself, just in case.

by Henry H. Walker
April 25, ‘18

No comments: