Saturday, November 28, 2015

of Heraclitus and tension




the tension of self and other

I don’t like confrontation,
yet I also hate to not speak my own truth

connection and relationship are vital to our well-being,
and somehow we must be true to self
while also being responsive and true to the other,

it reminds me of Heraclitus’
“the way up and the way down are the same,”
for somehow we must balance seeming opposites: 
unique to self and also sharing sameness with the others,

the challenge of a middle schooler is to be an individual
while also enthusiastic as a member of a group,

maybe part of why I still work with middle schoolers
is because I’m still working hard to figure out how to hold that tension:
to honor myself apart and together,
being one while also being many.


by Henry H. Walker
November 25, ’15

No comments: