Tuesday, October 1, 2013

the cusp of leap and fall



my humerus isn’t humorous

my foot catches on a root:
my body pivots
and I have no control
as I slam my shoulder into the bank before me,
a bone in my upper left arm cracks . . .

hours of doctors’ offices and x-rays,
it’s a simple fracture, no need for a cast,
an immobilizing sling to keep my sleep self
from hurting the alignment,




as long as I sit, or lie back, no pain,
when I get up, and move,
soft tissues shift,
and pains radiate down my arm:
at times quivering wrist and hand,
the simplest actions require enough effort
to make me pause before I shift or move,
anticipation of discomforting pain 
makes me pause like Prufrock,
and see if I dare even the simplest motion,

the universe and I are determined
that I will learn to appreciate every moment,
that I will appreciate every cusp
that might lead to dissolution, or not,
that each and every moment that the dice fall in my favor
deserves wonder and appreciation,

the fall is always there beside the leap.


by Henry H. Walker
September 29, ’13

1 comment:

Toby said...

Henry -

The ever-present juxtaposition of leap and fall in this piece makes me think of current discussions of "process theology"... God is omnipresent and omniscient, but not omnipotent... rather, he/she/it presents the optionality of our lives in each moment, and then watches lovingly as we negotiate our paths.

Peace,
Toby