Friday, June 22, 2012

worries slip in


drivers change

when the school year ends
I no longer have students, their papers, and their spirits
to fill the spaces in my head and my heart,

each precious person behind the eyes
moves off into other places
and once the connection is broken
I head off into chores and plans I’ve put off
 while teaching has consumed me,

when even that work is done enough that I can leave it,
into the spaces within me where the drivers have been
other drivers come in, worries that slip in to nag me
that something is going to go wrong,
that I don’t deserve any vacation for myself,
that I certainly don’t deserve any indulgence,

such a time gives me a taste
 of why so many hold down their emotions,
for once you let go of control,
other forces than your will can be in the driver’s place.

by Henry Walker
June 17, ’12

No comments: