Thursday, April 5, 2012

the mentor of the far

look about, and know

I want to know where I am
within where everything else is:
to know in my bones and in my soul
what is particular about my place
and how connected, or distant, other places are to me,

history and genealogy also draw me
so that I might glimpse the paths before
that have led to now,

the future also calls so that I can imagine
what seeds in the present might germinate
and grow into what future,

I wonder and wander back to when,
in the distant past, we first stood erect
and gained the power and insight of knowing
where we were within where everything else was,
predators included,
and that is just good for us to know,
and might even contain the truth
that can save us from ourselves,
the short-sighted mentored by the far.









by Henry H. Walker
April 2, ’12
images from Google Images

No comments: