Sunday, December 4, 2011

getting away

I need to reboot

I need time away, to be all by myself,
even though each step away
feels like a wrenching loose,
a sticking, then a tearing,
for who I am is a part
of a wonderful marriage,











of fulfilling work as a teacher,








of friends, of neighbors, of home & garden,
all of whom I need,
and I hope that what I give
keeps up with what I get,

every once in a while, for a few days,
I need to peel away the other
and feel bare and vulnerable,
to feel alone and sad
for what I’m missing for a while,

like a computer, I sometimes need to shut down
and then reboot to be ready to respond appropriately
to all the programs within which I run myself.

December 1, ’11

postscript:
the afternoon before I leave to return home
I sit by the bountiful creek and I don’t really see it
for I am already rebooting and inserting myself fully
into the programs I run with my life.

by Henry Walker
December 3, ’11

No comments: